The PPP has proven effective and has placed more than 250,000 federal employees to date. The PPP human resources specialists will review your resume, qualifications, specialized experience KSAs, option codes, grade and series to assist with career transition.
Many BRAC-affected Department of Defense (DOD) workers send their resumes to the PPP to help land a new federal position. This resume, needed for the PPO service, is similar to the USAJOBS federal resume, but there are distinct differences. The tips below will help you maximize the services of the PPP human resources specialist in locating a position for you.
1. Study Chapter 10 of the DOD PPP Operations Manual (1998). Determine the match between your occupational series and the option codes. Option codes are used for registration for the PPP, to more specifically define qualifications and help clarify job requirements.
Your PPP federal resume needs to demonstrate specialized skills in 2 or 3 occupational series for which you are qualified. This will ensure that your PPP counselor and panelist can help you land a new federal position that you will be qualified for, while utilizing your experience and qualifications.
2. Write a statement of “objective” on your PPP Federal Resume. The statement of “objective” listed below is an example of an individual who was classified as an Electronic Technician, but performed IT Specialist duties for many years. He was successful in landing an IT specialist position through the PPP.
CAREER OBJECTIVES: Information Technology Specialist (Customer Services, Networking, Application Systems), GS-2210-11 OR Electronic Technician GS-0856/0802-11. PPP Skills Options Codes include: CSP, NET, ASW. Competencies include: Customer Service, Interpersonal Skills, Team Lead, Problem-Solving and Technical Competencies.
3. Find the classification standard used by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) for your occupational series. Identify keywords in OPM’s classification standard that can be used to write your federal resume duties and responsibilities sections.
4. Add accomplishments to demonstrate you have specific experiences and competencies. The accomplishments will help the PPP human resources specialists understand the complexity and level of your experience and provide them the information they need to select your next position.
5. Format the PPP federal resume for a human resources specialist – not an automated system. Your resume for PPP can be a printed, formatted resume. It can include bold type, underlines, indentations and bullets so it is easy to read, but don’t overdo it. Use at least 11 point font. There is no particular length for the PPP federal resume, but it is recommended to keep the length between four to six pages.
Your PPP federal resume is important for your next career move following BRAC. Follow these tips, so your resume will stand out and result in a position referred from the PPP.