Oakland County Michigan Works!, in partnership with Oak Park and Southfield, is hosting a regional, multi-industry virtual career fair from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 26.
Thirty employers from manufacturing, health care, retail, professional services, real estate and government are participating in the event. Organizations conducting virtual interviews can be found at www.OaklandCountyMiWorks.com.
This is the second virtual career fair arranged by Oakland County Michigan Works! with the first event featuring 60 companies, nearly 1,000 available jobs, with 700 people participating in multiple interviews.
New Michigan jobless claims remained relatively stable last week even as they spiked higher in states where coronavirus cases are rising and m…
“The feedback from both job seekers and employers after our first virtual event was very positive,” said Jennifer Llewellyn, director of Oakland County Michigan Works! “People were ready and eager to meet with employers face-to-face online. Employers said the virtual setting allowed them to meet with many potential candidates in a short period of time. A number of them received follow-up interviews and found their next career opportunity.”
Registration for this second career fair is required and space is limited. Job seekers are encouraged to sign up as soon as possible by visiting the website, or clicking on: https://app.brazenconnect.com/a/Michigan/e/l5Pmw.
Employers who would like to participate in the job fair should contact Jeffrey Granat at [email protected]
Here’s a list of employers that have committed to attending:
- American House
- Beaumont Health
- Believe Trust and Change Counseling
- Capital Sales Company
- City of Southfield
- Dunning Honda
- Friedman Real Estate
- Geniuses On Board Child Development and Learning Center
- Hagopian Cleaning Services
- Hope at Home Health Care
- Ken Garff
- Michigan Rehabilitation Services
- Oakland County
- Oakland County Michigan Works!
- Pace of Southeastern Michigan
- Rochester Telemessaging Center
- Runco Waste Industries
- Toad Opener
- Welding Technology Corporation
- XPO Logistics
Michigan’s ban on indoor dining has been extended through the end of January. Restaurants may be able to open for indoor dining on Feb.1, but …
As of November, the county had an unemployment rate of 6.8% with over 47,000 residents out of work, according to the Michigan Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives.
The U.S. Department of Labor released new unemployment numbers Thursday showing nearly 1 million initial claims for unemployment benefits filed last week, up 181,000 over the prior week.
In Michigan, initial claims filed last week decreased over the prior week, by roughly 6,900 claims, with 190,511 Michiganders filing continuing claims the week of Jan. 2, numbers that lag the initial claim numbers. Nationwide, around 5.85 million Americans filed continuing unemployment claims the week of Jan. 2.
Attorney General Dana Nessel is reminding senior citizens living in assisted living facilities and nursing homes that their $600 stimulus paym…
This week, the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) started issuing $300 weekly Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (PUC) payments to an estimated 365,000 unemployed workers.
In addition, Oakland County Michigan Works! has extended its virtual workshop series through March. To date, 1,000 people have participated in the workshops since their launch last summer.
Workshop topics include:
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing: Opening the Door to Employment
- Virtual Interviewing: Making a Great Impression
- The Language of LinkedIn: Using the Popular Career Tool the Right Way
- Changing Careers: New Opportunities, New Future
- Mid-Life Career Transitions: Switching Careers and Flourishing in Today’s Economy
- Personal Brand: Building and Maintaining a Successful Marketing Strategy for You!
- Landing A New Job: Appearance, Communication and Performance
- Career Vision Board: Showcasing Your Interests, Skills and Goals
- Gig Jobs: Exploring Non-Traditional Employment Opportunities
- Landing A New Job: Appearance, Communication and Performance (A new workshop being rolled out this month)